Re: [DL] D20 ? OTish

At 01:21 PM 3/3/2002 -0600, you wrote:
 >I have played many game systems in my time, and love learning new systems.
 >The thing I like best about the D20 system is that it is the easiest system
 >I have ever seen for teaching new players.

Now THIS I have to disagree with.  And I will utilize just one specific at
this point - Attacks of Opportunity.

For a more general proof - I will point out that my Sunday night DnD game
is composed of an eclectic lot of old school gamers - grognards, ASL
veterans, Champions aficionados, gaming devotees who have mastered dozens
of esoteric systems and even one who claims to understand the byzantine
rules of Magic:the Crackmongering.

It took this group over 6 months before we stopped having to constantly
refer to the books to look up this or that esoteric rule.  Even now the
game manages to get stopped at least once every two or three sessions as we
have to hit the books to look up what this or that stat/die
roll/situational/whajamaffut/ modifier is.

 > For those who don't
 >like D20 system, what is your major complaint?

Levels.  Hit points.  Classes.  A combat system that is both complex and
unrealistic.  The spell system.

Pretty much all the old baggage from the old DnD system that they had to
retain in order to have some form of backwards compatibility.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.