RE: Re[4]: [DL] Harrowed [for Marshalls only]

Spoiler Space

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*********

As stated in Ghost Dancers, the "Hunting Grounds" appears differently to
different people.  Ghost dancers described it in very indian-centric
terms simply because that book was about indians, and prior to that,
being a western game, it was described that way.

However, even Ghost Dancers mentions dieties and beings living in the
Tree-Top/City-Of-Heaven/Valhalla/etc.

And since a posse travelling to the Hunting Grounds experiences the
hunting grounds as the person with the strongest faith would imagine it,
what do you suppose happens when most of the world becomes one big
Deadland, almost indistinguishable from the bad-parts of the Hunting
grounds?  The World experiences the creatures that come forth in the
manner that the majority of the world imagines them: Christian myths.
The Four horsemen ride forth, because the largest single belief-system
in the world sees them that way.

Deadlands and Pinnacle have always stressed that these things are
interpreted differently by different cultures, and that the same set of
evil things are the source of different myths in different cultures.
Indian Manitou or Christian Demon.  Same thing, different name.

As for an ultimate battle of God vs. Satan; Satan is never mentioned (to
my knowledge) in any of the books in the same way that God is.  Evil
sorcerers get their powers from the Reckoners (4-Horsemen).  There is
mention in HOE that the prison that houses all the supernatural baddies
(Hucksters, Harrowed) where their powers do not work is soemthing more.
The Rock beneath it that acts as a dampening field for those powers was
actually put there by the Reckoners to trap something *much* bigger than
them.  I interpret this to mean Satan, or a creature that would have
given rise to the Christian concept of Satan in opposition of God.

So, my point in all of this is that even though Deadlands and Hell On
Earth focus on the Indian and Christian terminology and symbolism, that
in no way implies that it invalidates the rest of the world.  There is
plenty of mention of ancient dieties from other religions (Athalon from
the adventure in Road Warriors, for example), just that the focus is on
Western and Indian belief systems.  In Egypt, I'm sure that the
weirdness has an egyptian flavor, since that is the predominent belief
system of that area.  Deadlands is just set in the american west, so
everything seen has taken on that flavor because people believe it to
be.

I hope that made sense

Joe