Re: [DL] Too easy!

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 11:08  AM, Grand Master Nilus of the Dark
Angel Chapter wrote:

> So average 4 hour game session nets them 7 Chips.  Thats hardly
> stingy.  Then considering 3-4 sessions end a adventure which probably
> nets them a few extra chips that like 30 chips.  I would start giving
> less chips out.  Encourage role playing flaws but don't give them a
> white chip every time they bring one up(Don't give someone with
> Hankerin Alchohl a white chip every time they have a drink)

I'll have to reconsider... I usually don't give out more than one or two
at the end of an adventure, however, since most of my adventures seem to
end with the 'barely won' ending as opposed to the 'fully victory'
option.

Of course, that means I have a lot of reccuring villains around to
torment them with. Between the freaky mad scientist they keep getting
told not to kill (but why?) the scientist's automaton that moves with
unnatural grace (and hunts it's creator among other things) and the
other fun critters... I can give them a hard time with supernatural
beasties, but I feel a group of normal black hats should be a threat as
well.

> Also If your players aren't burning there dice on wounds have them burn
> them on skills.  Have them make skill rolls that are life and death
> issues(Sneaking past an entire Indian Encampment or Jumping from a
> Horse to a speeding train).

I;m definitely going to stage some scenes like this. One thing I've
grown to dislike in RPGs (all of them, not just Deadlands) is the
tendency for segments to degenerate into a SWAT team like search and
destroy mission. Setting up fights where the players are not choosing
the battlefield and on the offensive is important. In Deadlands this is
especially true, although there is some room for the stereotypical 'get
a posse' scene.

Written as I watch "From Dusk Till Dawn"

Hmmm....

> Also are you familiar with the 2nd edition rules on explosions.  Have
> them caught in a explosion or two...that will drain those chips.

I'll check those... I considered having one of the gang members (who's
already established as being a bit deranged) try the stereotypical vest
o' dynamite trick. Since he's somewhat deranged, he might try that to
save his boss... (Dang loyal hindrance...)
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)