[DL] Ah-HAH!!! Aide to the D20 folks!!!

Ah-HAH!  A D20 person in need of help!  As I stated before, I shall attempt
to answer the questions, even though I have NO inkling what I'm talking
about!  (Scorpio, you just missed a whole bunch of D20 stuff--be glad)

>From: scorpio@calweb.com
>Hello,
>
>I just started a d20 Deadlands game and we're having a lot
>of fun so far. [ snip!]

Well, welcome aboard, & we are glad to have you here.  What's the problem?

>Under the Mad Science skill, it says to read in the Mad
>Science section in the MAgic chapter on how to use it.
>However, there is NO mention of this skill ANYWHERE in that
>chapter. Making new mad gizmos requires both Knowledge
>skills and Tinkerin skills, but not Mad Science. So, what's
>the point of this skill? What I was thinking of doing was
>instead of requiring a knowledge roll, making it a mad
>science roll, and giving a +2 synergy bonus to it if you
>have the appropriate knowledge skill related to what you are
>trying to build.

You are quite correct, sir, (or miss), there is no mention anywhere for this
skill.  You have also figured out a good way how to handle it--have the
player use the Mad Science skill when rolling, & giving die mods to the roll
if the character has knowledge that pertains to the Mad Science roll.

>Now... as for Duels... It says in the Ridicule skill (and
>somewhere it mentions Bluff as well) that you can use these
>skills in a duel and to check the section on duels to find
>out how. There's NO mention of these skills in the dueling
>section though. I assume that they can be used instead of
>Intimidate, such as to piss your opponent off (ridicule) or
>trick him by feinting (bluff). Is this the case?

Again, you are correct--I believe this is another point of debate raging in
the Deadlands D20 system.  I would suggest have the two characters in
question do an opposing roll here.  The loser has to subtract the amount he
lost by from his shooting skill.  In other words, if two gunmen are having a
duel, & one ridicules the other, have them make opposing rolls (attacker
rolls a "12", defender rolls a "5") & the loser would subtract "7" from his
shooting skill.

>Thanks. There's plenty of other minor things like this that
>I have found, but those are the two that I just looked up
>recently. I will ask more when I find any other
>descrepancies. Other than these minor issues, so far the
>game is really fun.

I'm glad you enjoy the game.  I would like to point out that although I
really am trying to be helpful here, I know absolutely NOTHING about d20
system.

Jeff S.