Re: [DL] DeadLands d20 ... love it? hate it?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guild Mistress" <guildmistress@mybc.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: [DL] DeadLands d20 ... love it? hate it?

> Hi all, I'm new to the group. So I'll apologize if this topic has been
> brought up before.
>
> I've played DnD for a long time. When 3e came out and the system moved
> to d20 I really fell for it. It made sense and worked out great for the
> game.
>
> But I think it was a bad move for DeadLands. d20 is not the end all be
> all for every game out there. God that would be so boring in my opinion.
>
> I was really sad to see DeadLands take that turn. I did give it a try
> though and bought the d20 books, read them and then packed them away.
>
> Long 'Live' DeadLands the 'poker' style 2nd edition.
> ---
> the GuildMistress

I think PEG did one of the greatest moves by publishing Deadlands in d20 and GURPS versions. There are
players out there that are put off by the Deadlands system, but love d20 or GURPS. The way I see it, you
can't bitch about the game system now. If you don't like Deadlands, it just because you just don't like
Deadlands, not the game systems.

I like all three versions of Deadlands, but if asked to choose just one, I'd go with GURPS. It's a system
I'm far more familar with, and I was greatly impressed by the conversion in the GURPS Deadlands book. Also,
it'd be the easiest to do my Fantastic West setting I suggested long, long ago (since elves, dwarves, orcs,
and ogres just don't work in Deadlands).

As for the d20 version, I like it, but I don't like the way Blessed, Hucksters, and Shamans were done. At
lower levels, they're great, but at higher levels they aren't so hot. I'd have tried to create a unique
magic system similar to the one Deadlands already uses.
I do like some of the feats from Deadlands and Wierd Wars like the d20 translation of Level-Headed (because
dice, ALL dice, hate me) and the Deadeye feat used in a D&D game can make an archer as deadly as they need
to be.

---
"You can observe a lot by watching."
 -Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Lord Jobe, God of Psiberspace (The Landscape of My Mind)
"Universes Exist in My Mind."
ICQ# 17774785