Re: [DL] Gamesystems (was d20 DL and HOL)

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Ogden" <w_ogden@hotmail.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 3:35 PM
Subject: [DL] Gamesystems (was d20 DL and HOL)

> Let's face it, no game system is perfect, most break at higher "levels".
>
> In deadlands, for example, if two very good gunfighters are fighting it out;
> the first one to get a shot off probably wins (ignoring the effect of
> chipping wounds); a more experienced character in DL classic can't really
> survive being shot at more frequently than a low level one.  Which is
> realistic, but can be frustrating, esp when a lot of the nastier (high
> level) monsters do so much damage.
>
> In d20, you start out being able to basically take one hit and then you are
> done, and end up being unkillable by low level characters or weapons.  A
> higher level party could walk through a village and kill everything they
> see, with no real risk of death or even serious damage.
>
> in GURPS, more experienced characters can parry/block/dodge more and more
> attacks; basically only a crit is dangerous.

True, but crits get much easier in GURPS at higher skill levels. The crit starts out at 3-4 (on 3d6).
If a skill is 15, the crit rises to 5. At 16 skill, the crit rises to 6. A 7 crit requires a 20 skill. After
that, the crit rises by 1 per 5 skill points to a maximum crit of 10 at 35 skill.
Please not that these are figured after all modifiers are applied, so with aiming and great rifle (like a
Barret Model 82 with the standard x8 scope) and expert level skill (16), you can get a skill of 25+ without
too much trouble.

---
"You can observe a lot by watching."
 -Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Lord Jobe, God of Psiberspace (The Landscape of My Mind)
"Universes Exist in My Mind."
ICQ# 17774785