Re: [DL] The Munchkin Twins

> For example, when they walk into a combat situation (which could be
> anywhere with our marshal) they have a habit of cocking all their guns,
> thinking that this will lower their Speed from 2 to 1. (We play 1st
edition
> classic DL.) While the marshal has stated that this makes little
> difference, I've noticed that these two are totally geared out with
> shootin' irons.
>
> The each have a pair or Winchester rifles strapped to their backs, in some
> sort of leather rifle scabbards. I imagine this looks like some weird
> samurai crossed swords thing. They also have speed loaders coming out
their
> butts. I think all this is to avoid reloading in combat, which isn't fun,
> agreed.
>
> So, anyone else heard of the crossed rifle scabbard deal? I thought a
rifle
> scabbard attached to a saddle.

A rifle scabbard is normally attached to a saddle.  I suppose you could rig
up something that was on the back like this, but it seems like it would be
uncomfortable as a get out.  Also there would be virtually no way to draw
the rifle quickly.

> How about speed loaders? What exactly are these things? I know what a
> contemporary speed loader is, but that only works with a revolver that can
> be broken in half when opened. Did all western guns break open like that?
> Other than the listing in the gear section, are there other citations of
> rules for using a speed loader? Not the speed load ability, but a speed
> loader. I know that with some cap and ball revolvers dudes used to carry
an
> extra cylinder or two. Is this a speed loader?

It is not actually a speed loader, but a spare cylander.  In many of the
older pistols the cylinder was removable.  By carrying a spare you would pop
the old cylinder out and stick in a new, fully loaded one.  Modern speed
loaders are very different.  Neither would work with a rifle.

> I like playing with these two, so I certainly won't confront them with my
> criticisms. Hell, if my marshal okays it, who am I to gain say him? And
> having these munchkin howitzers with us certainly cuts down on the overall
> posse casualties.

As always, fun is much more important than realism.  If the Marshal allows
it and the group enjoys it, it sounds good to me.

Alex