[DL] holsters...

    Now, it was my understanding that crossdraw holsters were worn by
cowpokes who came from the North -- because it's easier to get at a
crossdraw while you're wearing a heavy coat.  Southerners used hip
holsters because they didn't have long, bulky coats to get in the way.
 That this is from the excellent Knuckleduster Firearms shop book, which
lists historical guns and has an interesting section on holsters.
    According to them, fast-draw holsters canted the gun's butt a bit
forward.  This way, if it goes off in the holster, you're a lot less
likely to get yourself shot in the foot.  Although they don't mention
this, I'd expect that this sort of holster also had the tie around teh
leg to keep the lower end of the holster from flapping, or being in an
inconvenient angle.
    The main problem with the swivel-holster is that you can't actually
aim the pistol. All your shots are hip-shots.  And you have to swivel
all of yourself to get a shot in at someone who is not in your direct
line of fire.

    Cheers, all.

    John Goodrich
    Whateley manservant