Re: [DL] holsters...

>Now, it was my understanding that crossdraw holsters were worn
>by cowpokes who came from the North -- because it's easier to get at
>crossdraw while you're wearing a heavy coat.  Southerners used hip
>holsters because they didn't have long, bulky coats to get in the way.

The North and the South wasn't the issue here, as earlier mentioned in
the thread about holsters that I started, the crossdraw holster was developed
for those who wanted to draw while riding a horse. And I have seven horses
currently and let me tell you how difficult it is to draw a revolver
"without" a cross draw holster on.

>That this is from the excellent Knuckleduster Firearms shop book,
>which lists historical guns and has an interesting section on >holsters.

>According to them, fast-draw holsters canted the gun's butt a bit
>forward.  This way, if it goes off in the holster, you're a lot less
>likely to get yourself shot in the foot.  Although they don't mention
>this, I'd expect that this sort of holster also had the tie around
>the leg to keep the lower end of the holster from flapping, or being
in
>an inconvenient angle.

Yes, many fast draw holster did/do have leg ties as well.

>The main problem with the swivel-holster is that you can't actually
>aim the pistol. All your shots are hip-shots.  And you have to swivel
>all of yourself to get a shot in at someone who is not in your direct
>line of fire.

Bingo John, you're absolutely right ... there is one other flaw too with
the swivel holster. If you got into a hand to hand situation with someone
they could sping the revolver directly upwards and into your face or
torso. Ouch.
---
the GuildMistress

FREE voicemail, email and fax, all in one place.  Sign Up Now! http://www.mybc.com