Re: [DL] keeping players alive

On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 12:38  PM, Wes Anderson wrote:

> The point is not to try to kill them. Its not my job to kill them. The
> point is not to cheat to keep them alive. If they could not die, what
> struggle do they face? More to the point, if you are cheating to keep
> them alive, who's players are bored?

I have to agree... cheating to keep player alive is likely to lead to
them feeling immortal, and eventually getting bored. I've had a lot of
that, and plan on cranking up the danger the next few sessions by adding
more true abominations and similar beasts that require more than a quick
gun to take out.

> Its not mine. My campaign drew a crowd of 14 players with more in the
> wings. I stopped it because I did not have the time or energy to keep
> up. The campaign was that damn good, and you could ask any player in it
> and they would tell you the same thing.

I had a few nights where I was maxed out, but they've ended. Too many
one-night players, not enough returning players. This is one reason I'm
in the midst of switching schedules.

> They respect and enjoy that I do not pull punches. Makes them think
> twice about doing something stupid and getting themselves killed.
> (note: GETTING THEMSELVES KILLED.

My players consistently have enough chips, which I'm choking up on, and
it's never been much of a problem. They'll have to learn that they may
have to manage wounds and take risks if they want to save up a pile to
raise stats, though.

>  These rules that I posted were posted by a PEG employee a long time
> ago. Might have been Goff, or Ashe? But you would have had to been
> playing that long have wanted to be here and know that. They are a
> joke. You know ha ha funny.

Hey, I'll be using those rules for the HOE one-shot I'm running
tomorrow, and I've got a plan to run Night Train tto let my D&D group
experience Deadlands next time we're short players.

> Didn't really think so.

I think it's important for a DL marshall to set the tone... This isn't
D&D which, while overall a good game, has a very different mindset. I am
continually mentioning how nothing in Deadlands is free... Want the
power to toss fireballs-deal with backlash. Want the Almighty's
blessing: live to a code of conduct. Want some really nice shootin'
irons that hurt undead? Well remember that someone else may have a prior
claim...

I try to carry that through. The most minor artifact, created as a
player belongin' has the downside of having very visible effects when
the small amount of bonus damage is used (it's a sword) and since the
owner is an asian ferner he's likely to get some bad treatment if
someone other than the posse sees it lighting up.

The posse seems to enjoy it. It's a minor artifact, but the character
fits well with it.
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)