SV: [DL] keeping players alive

Yeeee-haw preach on Brother Billy!!!!!!

Personally I try to keep my players alive, although I've aquired a taste for
dismemberment and reducing their traits if wounds are not properly healed
(One player had a crit in the head and guts and botched 7 natural healing
rolls... I decked him for mental stats along with vigor. The player was cut
down by a french legionaire wielding Cortez' sword)Actually the biggest
problem with keeping my players alive is making sure that they don't bleed
to death after an ambush or fight. I lost two PC's from bleeding
(accompanied with two botched medicine attempts to plug the holes)One of
them had been in game for less than an hour (luckily I encourage players to
have back-up characters in case this happens, so nobody misses out on any
play time)
I know a lot of players don't like to play maimed heroes, but I try to
encourage them.
Why do players feel that their heroes are less than heroes, just because
they've got a gamey leg and only one functional arm.

-Nils, Marshal of the Red Eye Society

Looking back on some very old notes I discovered something I find funny.

	In my first campaign I ran a very small group (okay only two
players, I didn't know many gamers then)one played a bitchin' gunslinger
called Maria Lopez (I still remember this character, because of her ability
to come out on top of any fight, usually this involved hiding for the first
round of combat and them picking off the left-overs with her buffalo rifle
at point blank range)and a new blessed character. They were riding along a
trail somewhere near Dodge when they were attacked by Prarie Ticks. After
turning almost all of them into paste, they were both infected. They desided
that something needed to be done and decided to operate on each other using
a... BOWIE KNIFE. The priest went first and slit the guts open on Maria
Lopez and reached in and pulled the Tick out, then he lay'd a good deal of
hands on her. Now the gunslinger was up for a stint in the "OR" She took her
trusty bowie and slit him up, not as deep as she needed but almost there.
Second try she rendered a crit on him (only a serious was needed), reached
in and pulled the bugger out. Now she was supposed to stop the profound
bleeding that the priest suffered from. A failed medicine roll later the
priest lay dead from bleeding after being cut to ribbons by his friend.