RE: d20 Initiative (was [DL] Re: [WW] Re: Systems]

 >On a side note, in my group, we have made use of the action by the Marshall
 >allowing us to enter combat one round before the enemy if we have a full
 >ambush set up.  So, we know the bad guy has taken the bait and will be
 >within reach any second, everybody tenses and get ready (refocusing), then
 >the hail of bullets comes before he is ready.

Now this is a potential reason to do this.  But in a real sense it depends
on two things:
The party managing to coordinate so well - it's one thing for the players
to agree, it's entirely something else for the characters to establish a
signal.
And you remaining undiscovered while refocusing.

But I can see it working.
On your partial action surprise round everyone rolls init.  On their
actions they refocus.
Next round everyone goes on a 20 + Init bonuses.  (It is problematic on
whether or not THIS is the actual surprise round, though as this is a lot
like rolling initiative before any combat happens).
And on the next round everyone keeps their inits, and probably goes before
the opponents anyway - still catching them flat footed.

I would probably do a hidden init roll on the first round, followed by a
count down.  This is to simulate the waiting for the signal.

And if the bad guys actually discover the ambush, then they get to act
first.  Circumventing those players who are concentrating on the go command
and costing them their action.

But you have to admit - this is just as easily simulated by delaying, and
there is no use for refocus in the middle of a combat.