[DL] Crying posse (Black Chip debate)

!

A couple of sessions ago I ran Night Train. We all know how that goes. Well
my posse earned a Black Chip for 1. Blowin up the town folks as the critters
were carrying them off. 2. Just giving up cause they couldn't kill the
critters with their guns.
They didn't know they earned one until they drew it. After I explained why
they all thought I was wrong. Their arguments were: "I made my occult roll,
why didn't you tell me how to kill them?" I tried to explain that they only
got one raise and told them what they believed the critters were and how
they should die according to normal beliefs. "We as players don't know what
our characters know so since I made my occult roll I should of known how to
kill them or at least some weaknesses." So I explained that what their
beliefs were could kill them or slow them down. "But you didn't state it,
you just said our characters believed this. How were we supposed to know it
would work." And it went on like this for about 10 minutes. I didn't back
down. Told them to suck it up, play like a team and be heroes. "But if we
know we can't stop them, then being a hero is to alert the next town and let
them go. We couldn't do anything for the town folks anyway so why die?
Because sometimes it's better to run than die for ppl we can't help." etc.
I hope they got the idea what they need to do. It was interesting. Keep in
mind that these guys are in their 30's+ with years of gaming. Usually a good
bunch. Anyway, did I sound out of line or to harsh? Does anyone have
something similar? Thought, concerns, questions?