Re: [DL] Dixie

At 21:56 01.07.2002, Daniel Gwyn wrote:
>Hi,
>     IMDB.com's includes a reference to the "The Bonnie Blue Flag" in
> Glory being exactly that:  a tune used by both sides.  There were many
> such tunesArguably the most famous tune to be used by both sides was "the
> Battle Hymn of the Republic" a.k.a. "John Brown's body".  Two warring
> factions of a nation(s) united by music.  ;-)

I have a small collection of Civil War songs, sung by Boby Horton. There
are a few tunes that are used over and over again. Even a christmas song
was recycled! ("Maryland, my Maryland", "John Harrolson").

Sometimes the lyrics of  popular song were changed to ridicule the other
side. Like one version of Dixie, sung by the north (didn't get really
popular, though):
"Where cotton is king, and man are cattle,
The  Union boys will win the battle,
Right away, come away, right away, Dixie land..."

The Rebels re-wrote "The Battle Cry of Freedom" to "Shout, Shout, the
Battle Cry of Freedom" (with the recurring verse
"Our Dixie forever, she never had lost,
Down with the eagle and up with the cross!
We will rally 'round the Bonnie Flag,
We'll rally once again,
Shout, Shout the Battly Cry of Freedom..."

Seems to me  that the Americas where full of ambitious poets and
songwriters, but were very short on composers ;-)

Markus