From: Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. [mailto:sosentinel@adelphia.net]
Sent: Monday, 29 July 2002 3:16 p.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Quick note: Barnes & Nobles

At 09:59 PM 7/28/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>Its not meant as flamebait, its just genuine incomprehension that anyone,
>anywhere thinks character classes and levels add anything to a game.

         I take you at your word, good sir, but as someone who's been on
this list for the last 5 years, I've seen this sort of post more than once
previously, and it kinda ALWAYS winds up being flamebait. It also prompts
me to write the following. Feel free to read the rest or not; I just have
to get this off my chest.

         Chalk it up to my "genuine incomprehension", but these elements
seem to add one thing: a heck of a lot of sales.
         They're obviously not your cup of Cheerios, but the vast majority
of the gaming world loves these concepts. In fact, the vast majority of
gamers always have, and seemingly always will.
         Now, I think it can be argued that classes and levels don't work
all that well outside of heroic fantasy and superheroes, but as good a
point as that may be, it's also OT for this list.
         There's a game world in my mind where people love classes and
levels in their fantasy games, and then they switch to other systems and
try new genres periodically. The key point is, this world simply does not
exist outside my noggin.
         Here on Earth Prime, the majority of gamers are happy to stick to
classes, levels, and fantasy, and dig in like a deer tick when the prospect
of trying anything new is raised. That's the way it is, always has been,
and probably always will be.
         To be sure, you can make a good living doing other things--been a
while since Justin or any of my other nGo brothers at White Wolf were out
in the street begging for change. Steve Long is selling those frickin' HUGE
black books of his fast as he can print them.
         None of this has done diddly squat to dislodge classes & levels as
far and away THE most popular game mechanic.
         I'm definitely NOT trying to start a thread here. In fact, I would
very much like to END one--to wit, another, "You know, that dang D&D just
ain't realistic!"
         It's a game. Lots of people love it. Most of them will love
nothing else.
         The exception of course is the good people here, who like D20 but
decided to give DL a shot. These are not the people who need to hear how
"unrealistic" classes and levels are. By their very presence here, they've
shown they have an open mind, and can see ANY system's merits and flaws.
         Let's please make this the last post ever about the D20 System
itself*. Further discussion is off-topic, solves nothing, and alienates
people in an already niche hobby.
         Me, I loathe fantasy in all its forms. Always have, always will.
Bring that copy of Lord of the Rings anywhere near me and I'll beat your
@ss to death with it, Frodo.:-) I also haven't played in a classes and
level game in 20 years next spring, but realistic or not, that's what the
vast majority of gamers are into.
         God bless 'em for it. It isn't my thing, but I'd rather pull the
log from my own favorite games' eye than point out the speck in D&D3's.
         Just my CS$0.02. I now return to my current (non-D20, BTW)
freelance project.

*--How good of a port DL D20 is, and other DL D20-specific stuff, are of
course on topic.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_