Re: [DL] Quick note: Barnes & Nobles

On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 09:59  PM, Mark Chiddicks wrote:

> Its not meant as flamebait, its just genuine incomprehension that
> anyone, anywhere thinks character classes and levels add anything to a
> game. Its pretty obvious when you look at the history of RPGs that the
> one idea in D&D that nobody ever copied, anywhere was the class & level
> system. Skill based systems are simply more flexible and a better model
> of imaginary personae. Can anyone argue with this? Really?

I can't argue with you... But it's still flame-bait for these lists

> Even 3ed D&D adopted a skill system - leaving levels and classes
> obsolete even within the game that invented them (at least, it SHOULD
> have)!

True. It's important to remember that classes in 3rd Edition are very
weak compared to previous editions, however. You can do a lot. It's
still very much true that the GM and players set the tone of the game as
much if not moreso than the rules.

> I just hate seeing a bad idea made widespread simply due to economic
> might - its like Windows 3.1! D20 gives Call of Cthulhu characters more
> hitpoints as they gain experience! CALL OF CTHULHU!!!! Come off it,
> Henry Armitage, 18th level professor with 40 HP, or little old man who
> can barely climb the stairs?

I agree in concept, although I believe the advancement is very small
when compared to the d20 core classes.

However, this is rapidly non-Deadlands related, and I don't know if the
mythical OT list would even want to touch this...

(As I've said, I prefer the classic Deadlands, but as long as you have a
good game, that's what matters.)

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)