Re: [DL] Quick note: Barnes & Nobles

On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 11:27  PM, Mark Chiddicks wrote:

> I don't think you can claim that classes and levels are  'the most
> popular mechanic' - they barely exist outside D&D. Now I accept thats
> the most popular GAME, but its a big stretch to claim that classes and
> levels are the REASON for its success. I think if you want to find a
> popular MECHANIC you have to see which new systems have done well over
> the years. Classes and levels featured in pretty much none of them.

Trying to resist the tasty flame bait...

Games I've played recently:
Werewolf: Rank is very similar to level (but with a much smaller range)
and tribe/auspice is an effective class/race.
Feng Shui: Characters buiilt from templates that limit their options.
Yup, might as well be classes.
Paranoia: Each troubleshooter is assigned a service group that
identifies his or her base starting skills. Of course, the clone may or
not be qualified for the assigned class, but knowing the rules is
treason, citizen.
D&D 3rd Edition: No comment.
Deadlands: Some characters have edges called 'Arcane Backgrounds' that
provide special abilities

> To say Classes and Levels is a popular mechanic because they are part
> and parcel of the most popular game (and no other) is much like
> claiming airline food is the world's most popular type of restaurant
> meal because so many people eat it!

I am in return mentioning that more people eat airplane food than they
think.

> Having said that  -I'll let the subject drop

Thank you.

> I would like to ask a question though.
>
> To what extent has the Reckoning spread beyond the American Continent
> by 1877?
>
> Is Europe 100%, 99%, 90% or less free of Abominations? Is it pretty
> much like 'Back East' or far less infested than any part of America?
>
> I ask because I have a couple of people playing non American characters
> and I wanted to be able to judge how likely they were to believe in
> abominations before they meet them!

PEG has only dropped hints about this both in books and other sources
(such as here). Basically, Deadlands focuses on the American West, and
everything else is on the fringes. The Reckoning does seem to be focused
on the west, but there's weird stuff going on everywhere. I think it may
be kept secret better outside of North America, however, because there's
less obvious elements like Mojave Rattlers that are hard to hide.

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)