RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 09:40 PM 8/1/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>Thats splitting hairs, as you well know. Lincoln didn't attack the
>Confederacy because he was bored, he did it because it seceded.

         Far from it. The question of whether States can leave the Union
peacefully (for any reason) is the key argument in The War. The fact that
Lincoln believed they could not and settled the issue with force gives us
our current understanding of the issue. Further, the fact that Lincoln
would've acted as he did if the South had
seceded because they didn't like his hat shows this issue's primacy, and
empasizes that without Lincoln, there is no War.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_