Re: [DL] Getting Started [speech]

Well said.

You know, the two remaining D20 people on this list have been incredibly patient
with the rest of us (myself certainly included in that latter group).

There is no need to polarize the listserv into armed "flagship" vs "D20" camps.
      What is going to happen is those who hold the center - the old guard if
you will - will drive away the newer folks, and this will lead to the typical
stagnation and death by inbreeding that I've seen of every other cliqueish list
or newsgroup.

Christopher and I disagree on the central cause of the Civil War, but I like to
think that it's a gentlemens' disagreement.  There is some light banter back and
forth, but at the core I certainly respect and understand his position, and I
hope he does the same with mine.  The one central thing we have is an enjoyment
of the history of the Civil War.  He's South, I'm North, but there is a great
middle ground that we can talk over.  (Well, he can talk, I just listen and
learn. . . and try to keep him honest :-)

That's not a bad model to follow for the DL list.

And lest ye rightfully smite me for my hypocrisy, yes I am fully aware that this
is an easy statement for me to make, given that I've already said my piece on
the subject and quite frankly have nothing more to add.  It was, in hindsight, a
bad move on my part - it added nothing to the Deadlands listserv community and
certainly contributed to the slow (if not negative) growth of D20 participants
here.

We all just need to be aware that every new person that joins the list is likely
to point out their personal preference in the matter - perhaps quite vehemently
and perhaps with deriding comments towards the other system.  Everyone just
needs be aware of this and to take it in stride.  These new folks will (usually)
pick up on being treated with courtesy here and respond in kind.

------------

I just want to take one last poke at this to make sure that you
understand us d20 players are not a bunch of kids running around and
trying on the latest fashions simply because they are there. We use the
rules because we enjoy the feel of them, and not because we hate the
original rules. I remember when I first tried to teach the core rules
to my friends and I spent about 2 hours in combat with 4 cowpokes. It
wasnt pretty. So after d20 was released I moved to rules that everyone
finds more comfortable and makes the game enjoyable for everyone
involved. I know there have been a lot of things said against d20
lately and if you want to go with them then do so because you hold the
belief that you want to learn a new system and not because you have
been convinced that d20 is a bad thing. Personally about d20 feeling
more like D&D I think that is the fault of the DM who can work hard
enough to make a game more like Deadlands if THEY put the work into it.
I just felt like with all the voices of dissent I would show you that
its not a horrible system and price wise you can convert things in not
too much time when you get the hang of it. And finally I hope we can
let all this go, I dont like feeling like d20 deadlands big brother and
I have to keep defending it from all the bullies. If you want to offer
advice offer positive advice about deadlands, and not negative advice
about d20.

Marshal Kevin Stoner