Re: [DL] Hunting Grounds

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 04:13  AM, Reemull wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A quick question. My posse are about to take an extended wander into
> the hunting grounds, and I'm not completely sure how to handle it in
> order to get across the strangeness and weirdness of it all. I was just
> wondering of anyone else had stuck their posse in the hunting grounds
> and how they managed to convey the whole atmosphere of the place.

A suggestion from PEG is to use it as an excuse for a one-shot of
whatever RPG you've been wanting to try. If my posse ever tries a major
hunting-grounds trip, say one of the ones betweens ettings, they may
end up playing a hasty d20 conversion of the 'Dream' sequence from the
Dragonlance Chronicles adventures, with levels given out based on how
well they make a fantasy d20 equivilent of their character.

But basically, abuse the players. hard. And taking more than personal
possessions seems to be a no-no.

Another example would be the way the GM for the Werewolf game I'm in
handled the totem test for the pack (read: posse). We had some very
vague warnings as we entered a world where a lot of the things we take
for granted in reality broke down.. Cause and effect, basic physics,
etc. Everything, in some way, had a meaning. In this case, out
characters were choosing a spirit to represent the attitude of the
group, so our actions in various moral situations (think of the dream
example from Book O' the Dead) steered our choice.

Have fun, and play fast and loose with the rules if it makes sense for
the story, especially here. Spirit worlds tend to be portrayed as both
incredibly literal and extremely metaphorical: "death valley" may
actually require death be used to buy passage, whereas the the
symbolism of crossing a bridge may come back to haunt the players...

Oh... one of those 'dream symbolism' books might come in handy, too.