Re: [DL] Fortress O' Fear

 --- Marshal Mike <deadlander624@yahoo.com> wrote: >
> Anyway, I read through Fortress O' Fear and was kind
> of disappointed to see what kind of direction they go
> in with the whole connection and time travel between
> the Weird West and Hell on Earth.  It was almost to
> the point to where I was considering not getting the
> first two books.
>
> But, it sounds like with adjustments to the end of the
> adventure, it's not too bad as a whole.
>
> Heh... yet another reason to be thankful for the
> Listserv!
>
> Marshal Mike

I never wanted my game to go to HOE as I thought the jumping between
games would ruin the whole western genre feel of the game.

I tend to run adventures with character background plots running
simultaneously - which helps muddy the waters a little and also
disguises bits in the plot where railroading occurs.  Upon reading the
final part of the adventures, I figured that on the whole I could go
with it but I would need to do some reworking in order to cut out some
bits and add in others.  I read some reviews of the product and pretty
much agreed with what they said about it regarding the dominance of
NPC's in the plot.

I decided to run it anyway as I had planned from the start to fit it
into my campaign.  The first adventure rocked and the party got into
loads of trouble in the City O'Gloom (i.e. the Steamer is no more - the
huckster burned it down) but basically had a great time.  During the
second adventure things started to go awry with one of the players
saying that he felt like they were forced into some of the situations*.
 This rang alarm bells for me as I thought the  first two parts were
relatively light on this aspect - but that  it could be a problem in
the third.  I decided at this point that if he was feeling that way
about the second part it was only going to get worse in the final
installment - so I decided to go the route of the rewrite.

Generally if you don't want to run the ending as per the adventure -
you need to decide what exactly happens to the diamond and work back
from the there.

Cheers

Roy

* What he actually said was "What was the point of going to the Rock?
You go there to find out the diamonds not there so you come back.  It
seemed as if the adventure led there just because it was a cool
location, and not because it was crucial to the plot; we gained nothing
from visiting it."   I could see his point -the PC's go to the Rock to
get slapped about the face by Grimme's evilness and little else - I
think they got far more horror from the hinted evil and veiled hints
about what was going on than being faced with all the mutilation that
was found on the Rock.  Maybe that's just my group and the style of
horror we prefer, but the Rock sort of spoiled Grimme as an enemy for
my group.