[DL] Old topic: Steel vs Stone Tomahawks

Greetings!

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I have been catching up on old
email and couldn't resist commenting on this discussion. The main
arguing point seems to be that if you make stone tomahawks have the same
speed as steel ones, and yet stone tomahawks do more damage, why would
anyone use a steel tomahawk? A similar argument was brought up regarding
if a small club does 1d4 and a large club does 1d6, and both have the
same speeds, why use the small club?

Well, my answer here is fairly simple. A stone tomahawk and a large club
both have the same disadvantage: they are big and heavy. This may not be
reflected in the combat rules anymore, since they now have the same
speeds as the steel tomahawk and the small club, but a good marshal can
make sure that the disadvantage will come up in other situations. One
problem is that you can't simply tuck a stone tomahawk or a large club
into your belt if you need both hands free. Well, you can, but they
should cause you some penalty when trying to move around, or have a
chance of falling out. The small club or steel tomahawk would be much
easier to carry tucked into your belt.  Another problem would be that
attempting to quickdraw a stone tomahawk or large club that is carried
in your belt would probably have a penalty to the roll. Even if the
player came up with a "holster" of some sort to make the item easier to
carry, it still should be a bit slower to quickdraw simply because of
it's size and weight.

That's my take on the situation. Comments welcome.

--David L. Hoff
dlhoff1@charter.net