Re: [DL] New Western comic

Howdy,

It's sad to see that Marvel is just playing off of the
series' title character's sexual preference.
I see them using this as just a means to get attention
through the media.  I mean, it's not the first time
there's EVER been a homosexual character in comics.

If you want a better read, check out Marvel's recently
completed mini-series Apache Sky.  The artwork is
wonderful and the story was great.

For those looking for more inspiration within the
comics genre, I highly recommend a series that I
BELIEVE may not be running anymore called Last Shot.
It was released by Image Comics.
It's more of a sci-fi western than anything else...
similar to the anime series Trigun.
They had a good thing going with this series and it's
a shame to see that it's sorta died off.
Another good one that died off quickly was Dark
Horse's Outlaw 9.  It had some western stylings in it,
but it was also chock full of sci-fi and fantasy.
So, those running/playing HOE may find either or both
of these series quite good.

For those who enjoy Anime/Manga, I highly recommend
Trigun.  There's also some great manga that's pretty
new and untranslated.  This includes the Trigun
Maximum series and a fairly new series called Red:
Living on the Edge.
For those who wish to buy domestically released
material in English, check out Priest, being released
by Tokyopop.  This GREAT Korean manga is an AWESOME
western/horror series.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this
series.
You can find it at your local Waldenbooks, Barnes and
Noble, Borders, etc...

Sorry, I'm rambling! ^_^;

S'long and Adios,

Iron Marshal Mike

--- Dan Sulin <grandmasternilus@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > I saw this on the CNN website last night. Why
> the big deal? I think it
> > > is sad something like this gets media attention.
> Is it so offensive or
> > > shocking? Most comics have a large adult market
> and explore gay
> > > characters often. Vertigo is one line where a
> gay character plays a
> > > prominent role (Codename: Knockout).
> > > Should be interesting what they do with the
> Rawhide Kid.
> > >
> Actually if anything it sounds like it gonna be more
> offensive to gay
> people.  The blurb on the CNN site seem to be making
> him sound like a gay
> stereotype.  There probably going to say he was the
> first Interior designer
> in the west or something.
>
> Of course I'm more offended that CNN stated that
> Northstar was in X-men.
> Everyone who is a Marvel comic fan knows hes in
> Alpha Flight. The Canadian
> equivialant to the Avengers.
>
> Dan

=====