[DL] Stranded in Arkansas

I'm a relatively new Marshal who now has "Skinners" under his belt. After
bailing out of the "Marie Belle," the Posse has washed up on the shores of
beautiful Arkansas. It's the goal of the players to head west, and I
currently have them involved in a story in a small village with a mad doctor
attempting to bring his pickled (DEAD and pickled, that is!) wife back to
life.

The question, for those of you who have run detailed, long-time campaigns
and/or have historical knowledge about the state of Arkansas (or maybe you
LIVE in Arkansas and have some insider information!), is what are some
logical hooks/adventures/situations I can get them into without making their
location seem like just a stopping-point on their way to the Weird West? I
know that the locations of many adventures can be modified, but I'm looking
for concepts that would be logical and intrinsic to the state.Anyone got
some sure-fire ideas?

The Schoolmaster