Re: [DL] Stranded in Arkansas

----- Original Message -----
From: "Preston Postle" <serfmonkey@ameritech.net>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 11:57 AM
Subject: [DL] Stranded in Arkansas

> I'm a relatively new Marshal who now has "Skinners" under his belt. After
> bailing out of the "Marie Belle," the Posse has washed up on the shores of
> beautiful Arkansas. It's the goal of the players to head west, and I
> currently have them involved in a story in a small village with a mad
doctor
> attempting to bring his pickled (DEAD and pickled, that is!) wife back to
> life.
>
> The question, for those of you who have run detailed, long-time campaigns
> and/or have historical knowledge about the state of Arkansas (or maybe you
> LIVE in Arkansas and have some insider information!), is what are some
> logical hooks/adventures/situations I can get them into without making
their
> location seem like just a stopping-point on their way to the Weird West? I
> know that the locations of many adventures can be modified, but I'm
looking
> for concepts that would be logical and intrinsic to the state.Anyone got
> some sure-fire ideas?

My suggestion would be to look for a book of folklore and legends from the
Appalachians. I personally recommend anything compiled by Richard Chase,
such as The Jack Tales, Grandfather Tales, or American Folk Tales and Songs.
While many of the stories may be somewhat familiar, having originally made
the crossing from Europe with the colonists, they're still good stories, and
can give you many suggestions for Wierd Arkansas, particularly when your
posse is up in the Ozark hill country.