[DL] What is "Western"?

Silly question, I know, but as I get ready to GM my first ever DL campaign
(not having even played before), I want to have a better feeling for what
Western is.

It's more than just Cowboy hats and horses and six shooters and showdowns
at high-noon; those are the decorations, not what really makes it a western.

What are the themes, the motifs, the elements, plot devices, character
traits, and so on that I should keep in mind to make the world, the story,
and the npc's *feel* western?