Re: [DL] Re: [Savage_Worlds] Re: Savage Deadlands

Hey Horace,

I understand your opinion on LC. The truth is I never should have printed it at all from a financial point of view. The steam had long run out by then and I took a bath, even with recycled art from the card game.

I knew I would too. Same thing on the Companion.

So why did I do it? Because I said I would, and Nick Zacharaisan (and a lot of folks like him, but Nick is always the one I think of) has been following the story since the beginning and deserved to have it wrapped up as best as I could afford to do.

I'd love for it to have been the full line it was originally envisioned to be, complete with a cool horror-based minis game and everything, but that just wasn't the market reality (nor PEG"s reality) at the time. And it won't be now that the market is SOOOO different.

(Quick lesson: A strong line with dozens of sourcebooks (ala Deadlands) used to be the standard. Now it's "What's new?" You can blame the D20 glut or collectible games, but no matter the cause, that's the way it is. (We call this being a "frontlist" industry instead of being a "backlist" industry.) So evolve or die. The new model I have for SW is dead on for today's market, and I don't think it will ever revert. That's just my opinion, of course, but it's shared by folks like Chris at FFG--hence about 5 books for Midnight and DragonStar rather than 50, and the Horizons line that does quickies like Grimm and Redline.)

Take care all!

Shane