Re: [HoE] First Impressions [Shane]

Here's what I DON'T like about HoE (and to some extent, recent Deadlands releases):  While the art
is getting to be a higher quality from a technical standpoint, I've noticed a lot more comic-bookish
trend towards large-breasted, scantily clad women.  I HATE THIS!  Mostly it's because, if I'm
reading a book somewhere, and someone asks what it is, I don't like being ashamed to show them the
book.  I found it very hard to get new players into Changeling when it came out, since I didn't want
to hand the book over to a stranger, for fear they'd flip to the wrong page (if you have 1st ed, you
know what I mean).
Take a look at page 82 of HoE, if you don't know what I mean.  They make out the Templars to be the
baddest of the badasses, yet the picture they put in the combat section is of a woman wearing a
templar tabard and a belt looking helpless and being attacked by a wormling.  She's got the
stereotypical, "Help me, I'm only a girl" look on her face.  Altogether, the picture is a pain in
the ass.  Compare this to the illustration on page 52.  THAT is my idea of a female Wasted West
character (and just about any wasted west character, for that matter).  She isn't a 'damsel in
distress' or a saloon harlot.  I wouldn't feel awkward if a non-gamer saw that picture in a book I
was reading, but page 82 would lead to all sorts of presumptions about the material in the book.
Like it or not, people tend to judge things by the illustrations, since they're the first bits of
information to be noticed.

--
Love,
Joseph Malik