RE: [HoE] Firearms

Revolvers are still quite popular with many groups of people.  The primary
reason is (IMHO) that it is nearly impossible for a revolver to have a "feed
jam".  Think about semi-automatic handguns.  It is very possible in most of
them that the round may feed incorrectly and jam the slide.  Sometimes
jacking the slide will eject the lodged round but sometimes disassembly is
required.  Revolvers totally avoid the entire issue since the rounds are
seated in the "chamber" already.  There are quite a few modern revolvers
still in production and, although I don't have any statistics, I believe
quite a few police departments around the country still use them as their
standard sidearm.

As far as them changing, while the basic concept hasn't changed a great
deal, the materials have improved and there have been a few changes.  The
most significant ones that spring to mind are safety design changes.  In my
Ruger Blackhawk (a 9mm/.357 single action) they have a "sliding bar safety"
which makes it much more difficult for the hammer to strike the firing pin
if the weapon is dropped.  I would imagine similar changes in many other
revolvers.  The swing out cylinder is another major change although I don't
know the design of 1870's era double action revolvers.

Just a few opinions. <g>

Jim H.