Re: [HoE] It's Hammer time!

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:53:15 EDT Velkyn@aol.com writes:

>yah, but are the HoE fighters going to be using sledges or actual war
>hammers(though you could have a great time raiding museums)?

I apologize.  I didn't mean to imply that they would be using
*warhammers*.  I was just using them as a reference to the fact that you
don't need a 20# sledge to do incredible amounts of damage in combat.
Pick up a ballpeen and smack Myridian in the skull, see if he falls down.
 I have a 5 pound sledge in my kit to set up tents (not what it was
designed for but it works) and it has a 2 foot handle and you can buy
them at Home Depot for 10 bucks.  I would think that if anyone would be
using a hammer in combat in HoE it would be one similar.

>Not many
>long>handled one to three pound sledges out there in the real world(far
as
>I know,>granddad was a blacksmith and has hammers of just about every
>variety), and>IMO you really need the long handle for the leverage.
Incidentally,
>we have a>coal pick/hammer, nasty thing with points on both ends and a
handle
>about 1.5>feet long, it was used in small mines that farmers had on
their
>property.

On a similar note, would you grant picks an AP bonus in combat?  I think
I would but if the user goes bust the pick is stuck.

>I had a SCA "sister" who used a mace in combat.  She loved to smack
>others on>the flat tops of their great helms.

**grin**  A woman after my own heart. :)  We call that "pinging" because
of the cool sound that it makes.

Templar Simon
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]