Re: [HoE] Katanas

>The katana was not a parrying weapon (regardless of how popular media
>portrays it) but it did have a MUCH keener edge than european swords.

   Any sword is a parrying weapon.  If you don't think katanas are meant
for parrying, just watch a kendo match (japanese fencing originally
created to help train samurai).  Granted, it's not parrying by
"european" standards since the parry is often followed by a step (left,
right, front, or back), but it is parrying by the tradtional definiton:
using your sword to block or redirect an attack, usually by another
sword.

>The samurai depended as much on his footwork and speed as he did on his
>blade to win in a fight.

   This I agree with.  But then again, can't this be said for just about
any swordsman worth his weight- or steel?  Just look at olympic-style
fencing.

-Damon Harper
      "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish."
		-Euripides