[HoE] RE: weapons rant

<snip rant>

I have only ever seen the katana used in Japanese style games (L5R,
Oriental Adventures, etc.) and Shadowrun.  The only reason I commented on
them on this list is because someone asked our opinion of there stats in
HoE terms.

Also, I may be wrong because I don't own any of the Wierd West product
but I thought that there was a sizeable population of orientals in the
Great Maze area.  I mean, they bothered to detail Kung Fu in the boxed
set (that's what is says on the back anyway) and if your campaign is
taking place in the areas of Arizona, California, or Nevada it's entirely
possible that there will be oriental influences in the region (including
the dreaded katana).  And if the history of HoE is anywhere close to real
history there will be an even greater increase in oriental influence due
to the people leaving Hong Kong in the wake of it being turned over to
the Chinese govt.  Especially the realm of film, which does it's share to
influence real life.  And if there is no Hollywood in California then the
movie makers may well move to the regions of Tucson, AZ or Phoenix, AZ
(which is happening as we speak in real life [the moving part, not the
lack of Hollywood part]), which would bring that oriental influence even
farther east.

Remember that the world of HoE grew and prospered and became an
interstellar culture before the ghost rock bombs.  They probably had the
Internet, weakened cultural borders, and martial arts schools the same as
we do now.  I can go into any gun store, martial arts school, and even my
local mall has a knife shop that has at least one daisho for sale (not
the real thing for sure but there nonetheless).  Heck, even my favorite
japanese food restaurant has a daisho and a kabuto in a display case
right next to their koi pond.

So, as you said, yes we are in the Wasted West in HoE but it is NOT the
same as the Wierd West.  There will be far more than just your typical
American West influence in the region.  Heck, even the psykers are based
on the influence of Asian priests and martial artists.

Templar Simon

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]