Re: [HoE] Katanas

G'Day all,

>>The katana was not a parrying weapon (regardless of how popular media
>>portrays it) but it did have a MUCH keener edge than european swords.
>
>   Any sword is a parrying weapon.  If you don't think katanas are meant
>for parrying, just watch a kendo match (japanese fencing originally
>created to help train samurai).  Granted, it's not parrying by
>"european" standards since the parry is often followed by a step (left,
>right, front, or back), but it is parrying by the tradtional definiton:
>using your sword to block or redirect an attack, usually by another
>sword.

Actually, the guard on a katana is the wrong shape for use as a parrying weapon.
It can be used to block an attack, but wasn't really designed for it.  If you
want to see a weapon that was designed for parrying, take a look at the guard on
a sabre, rapier or even a basket hilt claymore.

With a blade that has been designed for parrying the guard is larger and shaped
to protect the hand and arm.  With a weapon of this nature, a proper parry is
taken both with the forte and the guard so that you can control where it goes.

As far as stats for a katana goes, I'd give it a bit more damage than the sabre
(listed in Deadlands Weird West) but less in the way of defensive bonus. The
weapon was designed with offensive technique in mind and it had to cut through
laminated wooden armour (it is a two handed weapon).  The sabre was designed
more defensively and is only single handed.

While I'm on the topic, I'd also suggest a rules ammendment for thrusting
weapons.  A thrusting weapon does not rely on the strength of the wielder, more
it relies on the accurate placement of the point.  To that end, I allow a
thrusting blade (like a rapier) to use Deftness instead of Strength in the
damage check.

Mike "Aussie" Garoni