Re: [HoE] A Few Questions

In a message dated 4/11/99 6:32:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rymoore@hotmail.com writes:

<< If I have a TN of then 10 is a raise I get that much, but if I have
 target # of say 7 because of range wounds etc is my raise at 12 or 10?
 Some examples seem to be one way while some seem to be the other way >>

Your sentence got a little confused there, but if you have a TN of 7, you get
your first raise at 12.

<< Going along with this when each says you get X for each success does
 that me you take the hightest die and count success and raises on that
 die only or all the dice you rolled. For example, if I have a tn of 5
 and I roll 3d10 getting 2, 7 , and 15. Is that 1 sucess with two
 raises for the 15 or 2 success one for the 7 and  one for the 15 and
 then two raises for the 15 as well?

 For example when you roll quickness to get action cards do you get one
 card for every success and raise on ALL your dice or do you just take
 the highest die that succeeds and get cards for it?

 A more specific question along these lines is with the Doomsayer power
 Atomic Blast. The TN is 5 I have say 4d10 faith and I roll 5,11,6,2,
 Does it do 2d10 for the 11 or does it do 310 for the 5,6,and 11 >>

Only use the highest die to determine success, raises, or failure.  So in the
Doomsayer example, the Atomic blast would do 2d10 because of the highest die
being 11.

<< Okay changing subjects completely now. We played hell or high water as
 our adventure (Which was great by the way!) In a couple of places the
 heroes have to make guts checks for seeing dead maimed bodies. My
 templar player asked why he should have to make a guts to check for
 seeing a dead body when he routinly maims peoples heads and guts with
 his sword. His argument being that if he can spill a living persons
 guts with his sword why should he be scared of a dead body. I saw his
 point but being the nice GM that I am I told him he could start making
 guts checks whenever he maimed someone with his sword. :) However, I
 did want to get the lists opinion on this particular argument. I would
 say that if you don't want to be afraid of dead bodies get a higher
 guts skill, but that got me to thinking if you make your guts check
 against one or even 3 dead bodies why would the fourth or fifth one
 even if they were encountered in another adventure, scare you?  >>

My first reaction would be about the same, if you feel your character is
hardened to dead bodies, then have him buy a higher Guts rating or the Brave
edge.  I agree with your last point as well, in adventures with a lot of
bodies, I will usually not make someone who has already made a gut check
against a corpse roll against any more dead bodies unless they come across
one which is more horrible than the last.  As for your Templar's argument
that he hacks people up all the time, that is in the heat of battle, which is
different from coming up on a horribly mutilated corpse in a place you don't
expect one.

		Hope this helped,

		Geoff