Re: [HOE] Deflections.

> > These are all heroes.  Amazing things can happen.  ...
>
> It doesn't make sense. He heard his partner's gun go off. Why would he
> care where the bullet was headed? He was fighting someone else.

Part of his mind could have heard a sound indicative of the bad
martial artist seizing the pearl.  He could have been preternaturally
aware of the pullet coming toward him.  He could be heroicly lucky
or, as Allan said, Fate could smile on him.

As a player, I've made a 22 horseback ridin' roll on 2d6+2 by sheer
luck when trying to pluck another character out of danger, and as a
Marshal I've driven players to chip the hell out of rolls (most
commonly guts checks, it seems) - sometimes they succeed, sometimes
not.