Re: MIME encoding?

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Richard Rognlie wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:45:11 -0400
> From: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@gamerz.net>
> To: pbmserv-users@gamerz.net, pbmserv-dev@gamerz.net
> Subject: MIME encoding?
>
> Who can NOT deal with it?  Specifically, I'm thinking of doing some
> board representation code changes to allow for more graphical
> representation of the boards (as sent via email) for those games
> that can benefit from it (meaning a LOT of them).
>
> However, that may impact those users who are not using MIME aware
> mail clients.  How many of you are there?  And do you have access
> to somethine like the unix command "lynx"?  This might also impact those
> of our users who are visually impaired.  I want to avoid a solution
> that is unworkable for those users.
>
> So... I'm asking for feedback before I start the code effort.

The mailer I use (pine in a unix environment) can't handle graphical
representations so it'd be a chore for me to save the *.html and go to
the browser to view it... :-( But then, I only play games where the
ascii representation is more than sufficient for my needs... Thus I
would definitely not like to HAVE to waste 1 min/mail just to view
a graphical chessboard when I'm perfectly happy with an ascii one!

However, I think someone already suggested the optimal suggestion - make
the choice graphical/ascii a player-settable option!

ragnar

* Ragnar Wikman, Abo Akademi University  * "Every soul is  *
* Lecturer in Computer Science           *  worth a song." *
* mailto://rwikman@abo.fi                *  -- Veikko Lavi *
* http://www.abo.fi/~rwikman