Re: [pbmserv] Palago notation?

I have never played Palago, but I am too fond of my own voice to shut up.

The Palago discussion has been cross-mailed to both p-users and p-dev.
This is unfortunate as the two groups will have different needs.
Cross-mailing can be warranted sometimes, but it should always be
pointed out so that participants reallize who they are talking to.

It is important to differenciate between notation used by humans and
notation(data structures) used internally by programs.  Don't try to
make one notation fit both needs, it will do both jobs poorly.

There is another point that is easily missed: You need a notation for
positions, and a notation for moves.  These are largely independent.

For example, John Farrels mail talks about position notation, while
Richard Rognlie answers with a mail about move notation.  Instant
miscommunication.

While my mail doesn't add much content to this discussion, I hope that
it can add some structure.

Stig Hemmer.