Re: [PyrNet-L] Why ask why?

Adrienne and others,

My post was not meant as a personal criticism, nor am I questioning your
motivation in sending it. I know it was all with good intentions all the way
around.

However, I do question its "educational" value. Education is based on fact,
and if this happens every day, we should be able to come up with some true
and heartrending stories. The truth, without theatrical embellishment,
without being told from a dogs eye view about fame, should be compelling
enough to convince people who might be swayed, to buy and sell animals
responsibly. There are some we will never reach.

My objection is to the blatant  emotional manipulation of the readers. It is
pure AR style propaganda. Designed, not to educate, but to hit you in the
heartstrings and have you reaching for your checkbook. It neither targets
the backyard breeders to be better, nor the buyers, who would wish to
"rescue" the dogs in question--not buy responsibly from ethical breeders.
It's only purpose, to me, it to elicit certain emotions from its readers.

The majority of animals in shelters today are not dogs. The majority of the
dogs are mixed breeds. Of the purebreds that are in shelters, the majority
come from backyard breeders and puppy mills. Many of the dogs have health or
behavior problems. This is not addressed. The story is anti dog show, as the
whole premise is that success in the conformation, obedience or field trials
are the incentive for greed and exploitation. That people who show care
nothing for their grandpups. Some don't but many, if not most,  do.

This story has been making the internet rounds for literally years. I look
at it as pure emotional blackmail. Just like the 70 cents a day commercials
for the children's fund. Like if you spend money on dog food you should feel
guilty enough to support a third world child.

Because most people--well educated and sensible-- feel sorry for helpless
animals, and seem to want to help whether by donating money or time, I feel
compelled to point out when they may be taken advantage of. In many cases,
the less well advertized opportunities would be better worth their time and
money.

I do volunteer rescue and volunteer obedience training. I cruise the Humane
Society for rescues and represent our breed at educational functions. I also
show. I have never bred a litter, but do plan on it. I know people like in
the story and have many horror stories of my own. They do not need
embellishment to be compelling. The truth is enough. But unfortunately it is
not enough to stop the people who do not care.

Cathryn