Re: [PyrNet-L] Why ask why?

At 10:33 PM 3/3/98 EST, you wrote:
>Linda,
>Thank you for wording so well, what I felt.  Who are these self righteous
>people that think that only a purebred can be a dog.  Two of the most
>wonderful dogs I have owned were mix breeds and they gave a lifetime of
>devotion and love.
>Bob

Since there seems to be a good deal of confusion over what I said, let me be
crystal clear.

What I said was:

The majority of the animals in shelters are not dogs. They are cats, small
rodents, horses and other livestock that comprise over 50% together.

Of the DOGS that are in the shelters, more than 50% of these are mixed breeds.

Of the PUREBRED dogs that are in the shelters, the majority of them are
unpapered (eg not AKC registered) and/or bred by backyard breeders and puppy
mills--uncaring breeders in my book. You won't find many dogs bred by GPCA
members there.

I was also pointing out that a majority of the  dogs are dropped off because
of behavior and health problems. No matter because it was lack of training
or health care on the owners part or not, the problems still exist to cause
problems for the new owner.  The most common problem is house soiling and
biting and parvo in young pups.

Nowhere did I ever imply that mixed breed dogs were not dogs, nor worthy of
consideration. I was simply pointing out that the majority of the "problem"
was not even purebred dogs, backyard bred, puppy milled, mixed breed or not!

I would also like to add that nowhere did I question Adrienne's right or the
appropriateness of her post to the list. I reserve my right to be able to
comment on the same, and express my opinions, which I feel might give
information to people who might not have heard that side of the story
expressed before.

I feel strongly about rescue and volunteer my time. I also feel stronly
about people being allowed to make educated descisions with all sides of the
story presented. Whatever side they take, if it is made with as much access
to information as possible, then they have made the right descision for
them. However, when only one opinion is brought forth, people's conclusions
drawn can be faulty at best. Although my personal opinion seems unpopular,
that is for each person to decide for themselves.

Thank you for your time,
Cathryn Lundberg