Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Longevity of Pyrs

Joe wrote:

>I wish some of the dogs did not live as long as they do.  When they get so
>old, some of them have a very poor quality of life and we get into the
>impossible situation of trying to determine when the poor quality of life they
>endure no longer is good for them.  I feel we alway error on the side of life.
>Sounds bad, but I wonder so many times if we did not love and admire them so
>much we would have made some different decisions.   I feel we are biased by
>our love for them and maybe sometimes do what we want and maybe not what is
>best for the dog. Understand this does not happen with all dogs, but more than
>we want it to happen.

I couldn't agree with you more.  My first...and oldest...dog is 12
1/2..she's not a Pyr...but has reached the "average" age for her breed.  My
oldest Pyr just turned 9. My greatest fear is that I will prolong their life
for "my" benefit rather than theirs. My second fear is that I will lose them
close together. I dread the day I may have to make the decision about either
one's "quality of life."  They have enhanced mine so greatly...I can only
hope I will have the dignity not prolong theirs past what is best for them.

Kim