Re: [PyrNet-L] And Now To Bed...

In a message dated 3/22/98 8:20:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Agarthan@one.net.au writes:

<< We don't have a Pyrenean just yet, but when we do I pretty much
 doubt that my wife will allow her to sleep inside: are there any
 (hopefully all-weather) alternatives those reading this list
 come up with for their own charges?

 Since the doghouses on the market here seem too small, and the
 garden sheds on offer seem a bit of overkill, I had the bright
 idea of purchasing a kids' cubbyhouse [play house] for a
 Pyr-doghouse (since the several models available ar eall in
 between a normal large doghouse and a garden shed in size).
 What do you guys think of this idea? >>

Our dogs (Pyr and Boxer) sleep inside with us.  We love our pets, but they
have a job too, that is alert us if they hear anything, especially
someone/thing coming in the house.  If they slept outside they may not hear
something in the front of the house and we might sleep through it if they did.

Pyrs like to "protect".  Echo usually sleeps in the hallway or at the foot of
our bed.  She can see all bedroom doors.  I was told they would do this and
amazingly Echo did it on her own!

Depending on your climate, being outside should not be too much of a problem,
as long as they have some sort of shelter.  Our pet store here sells dog
houses all sizes, including one that could fit 2-3 pyrs.  But again, for your
dog to "do its job" it will need to sleep inside.  It doesn't have to sleep on
the bed or even in the same room, but I strongly feel that a "non-working" dog
should sleep inside.

Also as someone else mentioned, they DO have a tendency to bark if left alone.
Our dog can smell the cats, raccoon, opossums, skunks, and who knows what else
are in our neighborhood (yes we live in the city) and she feels it is her duty
to make sure none of those "monsters" come into her territory, and since they
are nocturnal creatures, she would bark all night.

Just my opinion.
Sandy