Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

Someone wrote:
"These dogs are more than likely good examples of the breed since they ARE
working."

Your initial premise is not correct.  Just because thse Pyrs are working
doesn't mean they are more than likely good examples of the breed.  The
only way to determine if a dog (of any breed) is a good example of their
particular is to compete in the show ring.  All Pyrs are working -- that's
instinctive.  Not all Pyrs are good examples of the breed -- that takes
time, planning, knowledge, etc. of the breeder.

 "But anyway, my question is  would a person owning working pyrs that bred
them
 be considered a BYB?"

That would depend on the motives this person has and what he does with the
puppies.  If he's (1) breeding to perpetuate or improve the qualities of
the Pyrenees (2) breeding the best bitch to the best possible suitable male
he can find (3) competing in dog shows (otherwise how would he know if his
dogs have ANY worthwhile qualities) (4) keeping offspring from his litters
and selling pets on spay/neuter contracts (5) abides by the Code of Ethics,
etc., etc., etc., then he is not a BYB (I dislike that term).
On the other hand, if this person is not doing 1-5, above, and breeds his
Pyrs just   because he has them and it's convenient for him to do so, then
YES, IMHO I would consider him a BYB.  This person should stick to raising
cattle, sheep, goats,  or whatever it is he's knowledgeable in that causes
him to have LGD's.  I would go to him for advice on livestock if I was
interested in acquring whatever it is he raised.  He, in turn, (and anyone
else in a similar situation) should go to someone knowledgeable and
experienced in Pyrs
P.S.  If I was buying a new car, I wouldn't go to a carpet salesman.
Donna

> From: BirdBugg <BirdBugg@aol.com>
> To: pyrnet-l@gamerz.net
> Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices
> Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 5:16 PM

> << I think what the previous poster meant was that we didn't want to see
Pyrs