Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

<< These dogs are more than likely good examples of the breed since they ARE
 working.  >>

Not necessarily true.  Pyrs or even pure breds  don't have a patent on
guarding livestock.

<<But anyway, my question is  would a person owning working pyrs that bred
them
be considered a BYB?>>

Good question.  My answer is there is no difference between these folks and
the rest of us.  In other words some would and some would not.  If you breed
to "let poopsie" have a litter, most likely you are a byb.  If you breed to
make some money or pay for some aspect of the dog ownership then you are
probably a byb.  If you breed to produce working livestock IMHO you might not
be a byb. I have only one proviso and that is that the type we have accepted
as Pyrenean should be safeguarded.  As I said in another post Pyrs do not have
a corner on the LGD business.  Most livestock people care little about type.
Just a generalization as there are significant exceptions.    I would love to
hear from others as I know there is a sizeable contingent that disagrees with
this position.    To not be a byb you need to be very concerned with genetics
and problems and where your puppies go and make sure you always take
responsibility for them.  Again most LGD people are not strong in this area as
well.  So, some are and some are not byb.

Joe