Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

JDG ZIP 1 wrote:

> << .the farmers have no one being "big brother"
>  and they are not exposed to the "embarrassment" level.
>   >>

> Adrienne,
> I'm glad to see you on the list and doing well after the storm
> ya'll had in your area!

Thanks

> I was reading where the sheep farmers in Scottland would
> "cull" border collie puppies if they did not show a working
> interest (Cull as in destroy). Now, a farmer who had Pyrs,
> and they 1.) had health problems, 2.) would not work, then
> why would they want to breed that animal and raise more
> with those undesirable traits?

Most dogs that are in working situations do not live long enough to
develop the "health" problems and temperment is sometimes not understood
by the farmer who may thing that protective means agressive.
The BC is a good example..the breed is falling rapidly to CHD which goes
unchecked until the dog blows a hip socket....then he is disposed
of...but its too late there are 100+ pups of his out there.
I am sure many famers (US farmers) do cull dogs that do not show working
possibility...however I am willing to bet money they do not kill them,
rather sell them to the market get a little kickback and the
undesirables are left unchecked to go on and produce more undesirables.
Breeders (including some farmers and *not* all show people), who are
knowledgable, will not only sell these dogs on limited reg, but make
sure they are fixed if not before they go, withen 6 months after they
go.
The farmers that have a desire to protect the breed are not, in my book
BYB or mills, they are using the dogs as they were ment to be used, and
these farmers will also place their "pet" pups on contracts to protect
the breed as it is.

 One who truely depended on
> these dogs would probably not even keep one like that
> around, because it would not be or could not be doing it's
> job. I think that might be the difference in a framer breeding
> his working dogs to have more and better working dogs, a
> person who breeds his dogs to improve as in show dogs,
> and a BYB.

Farmers who have a desire to improve the breed are also the ones who
have an understanding of type.  It is type that keep the pyr from being
another "big white dog".  Ability, ot the farmer, might take presidence
over conformation, yet when the educated farmer decided to breed that
less than conformation correct dog, he will choose one that meets or
beats his demands for ability and structure.  This is improving the
breed. Remember it is the structure that has to carry around all that
ability.
Alot of the dogs that "work" work because they were started off in the
right direction, not because of temeprerment (I once trained a
golden to guard goats)....want to know if a dog has realy ability...take
him out of the city, kennel, or suburb, at the age of 3+ where he has
never even seen any live stock...put him out in the field......will he
work?  It will not be the fact whether or not his parents will working
that will decide...
If a person has a pyr, and thinks, well if I had *raised* him with
livestock he would work, but since I didn't he won't or can't...then
they do not have a correct pyr.  (I have one just like this from working
parents.)
If you have a pyr that you can take out to the pasture and he can do his
job at any age, even if he hasn't even seen a goat in his life...then
you have a dog with ability...

> I could use the same example with our quarter horses, in which
> we raise show horses. If the stallion don't sire it - geld him, if the
> mare don't produce it - sell her, or else you are spinning your
> wheels - as a breeder.

Horse and dogs are two different spectrums.  When you make a mistake
with a dog you don't have just one to deal with...you have 5 or more...
Also horses are not sold like a cotton crop to pet stores and or pet
people who then go one to produce more poor examples...

Dogs cannot be bred with the descression that many farm animals are bred
because they produce so many of themselvews, they produce so fast, and
people buy them not to eat, but to live with, and an improperly bred dog
is a dangerous one.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA