Re: [PyrNet-L] Work, Show or Pet?

Paddington is yet another example of pyrs doing their "work," regardless
of their specific situation. He has consistently shown the tendency to
guard his people and property....as a very young puppy, he would
occasionally go on alert when I was walking him at night, stop, a low
growl in his throat, until I realized that someone was walking behind us.
He wouldn't move until the person had passed and we could keep an eye on
them!
More recently, he has developed a relationship with the birds that come to
our feeders on the deck--I'm still trying to figure it out! He'll lie out
on the deck while the birds feed. The other day, we had thrown out a
couple of stale bread rolls. We looked out, and Paddington was chewing on
one, and several birds were pecking at another just a couple of feet from
him. Then suddenly he will rush, barking, out to the back yard, apparently
chasing the birds away. First we thought he didn't want them on "his"
fence. Then I noticed that he only chases *after* they begin to fly off,
and wondered if he's trying to round them up, keep them within his
territory. Now we're thinking he might not be barking at the birds at all,
but rather that he is checking to see what "predator" scared them. There
are often cats lurking around the side of the yard, outside his fence, of
course, and that's the area he always rushes to. It's fascinating to
watch, because he is clearly "working" in some way. One of his littermates
went to folks who have pyrs guarding their exotic fowl....maybe there's
some telepathy going on!
Ann, Peg, and Paddington