[PyrNet-L] [Fwd: Great Pyrenees]

I just heard from this nice person; she says that Howard is still at the
vet's.  The vet can't bear to  put him down.

---- Begin included message ----
I saw your ad for Pyr pups and I wanted make a plea for help to you and
any other Pyr fans you know.  From the contents of your ad, I made the
assumption that you were or are attempting to be a responsible breeder.

I'm a Pyr fan.  I got my first dog two years ago, a bitch rescued in Baton
Rouge.  Despite a long list of health problems (including fused vertebrae,
hip dysplasia, bladder infections, yeast ear infections, epilepsy, and,
finally, cancer) Blanca faithfully guarded my turkeys, chickens, and cats.
She died March 17th.

When I put the word out that I wanted another rescue, people started
calling from all over offering me dogs.  I excepted a large male who was
abandoned in SE Travis County.  "Howard" obviously wasn't brought up
in the best environment.  He's probably a result of a back yard breeding.
(He only has one dew claw on each rear leg, if that means anything.) He
couldn't be confined in the house or a crate without going into a panic.
He jumped my 4' fence if left free in my yard. I had to resort to keeping
him tied to the horse trailer.  He didn't mind, so it looks like he's spent
some time tied.  He got loose last week a killed my best Royal Palm turkey
hen.

The dog is currently being boarded at the Hwy. 71 Vet Hospital.  I can't
afford the board as it is, so I'm euthanizing him Friday, April 17th.  I've
been running an ad in the Statesman for a week with no calls.

First, do you know of anyone that can give Howard a home?  He's about
two and prefers children and women.  He's really a sweet, pleasant dog
to be around. I neutered him and had him tested for heart worms.  He's
positive for heart worms, but my vet has recommended the passive
Ivomec treatment (very cheap and safe). Howard is huge (83 lbs
SKINNY) and needs to be confined behind a 5 foot fence.  I don't know
what he's like with livestock (he barked at my horse, but otherwise ran
from her), but he will kill poultry.  He chased the cats until he got to know
them.  He was OK with my other dogs. He is very timid around men and
will run and hide if you pick up anything resembling a stick or other
weapon.

I still owe the vet $150 for his care.  If someone wants him, they need to
pay some or all of that bill directly to my vet. (This will screen out folks
that can't afford pets.) They need to promise to continue his Ivomec.
They need to have a 5' fenced yard. E-mail me or call me at work (512
239 6048 M-F 8-5) or at home (512 247 5604) or call my vet (512 303
5444 M-F 7-6:30).  Hurry!

While on the subject of rehoming, I also got a call from a woman named
Pam Becker.  A friend gave her a cute Pyr puppy who grew into "too
much dog" .  She wants to give him away.  All I know is that he's sweet,
big, and has never been exposed to any poultry or stock. Her numbers
are 512 232 2182 and 512 267 9652.  One is a work number and I can't
remember which.

Second, is anyone in Central Texas forming a rescue group?  As this
breed gains popularity, you'll need one!  I already talked to a breeder who
rescues in San Antonio.  She said ALL her rescues come from Travis
County.  The day I saw your ad, THERE WERE 12 PYR ADS!  Some
offered puppies as Easter Surprises for $75! These dogs are being over
bred by the back yard crowd, and the results are showing up in pounds
or just abandoned.  I urge you and other serious breeders to start
an information campaign on these dogs on the scope of what
the Dalmatian people did after 101 Dalmatians premiered.  The
general public needs to know that these dogs grow BIG, jump out of
most backyards, dig huge holes to stay cool, bark, bark, bark, live a max
of 12 years, but usually about 8, entail huge vet bills because of their
size, and are even a problem to dispose of when they die.  (I had to have
Blanca cremated and I'm taking Howard to the rendering plant.) Backyard
breeders are producing dogs with hip dysplasia, back problems,
epilepsy, etc. and selling them to novice dog owners. They make great,
lovable pets, but people need to know what they are getting into!

ALL PYRENEES BREEDERS NEED TO WORK TO CURTAIL BACK YARD
OVER BREEDING! WATCH WHO YOU SELL PUPPIES TO.  DON"T SIGN
AKC PAPERS UNTIL THEY STERILIZE THE PUPPY! EDUCATE! EDUCATE!
EDUCATE!

It's probably too late for you to help me with Howard, but do Pyrs a big
favor and pass this e-mail on to every PYR fan you can!!!!!

After all the expense of Howard, I can't afford another Pyr right now.  I'll
keep your ad, and maybe I'll contact you in a few years.

Thanks,
Margaret Canty
512 239 6048 (wk)
512 247 5604 (hm)