Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:French vs US & UK Pyrs

<< I would love to hear from you, Joe, Ian, and all our subscribers from
Europe
 who have seen dogs in the US and in France and other countries.  Just what
 do you think are the major differences. What do you think that American
 breeders should work at, and likewise what are the strengths and weaknesses
 in Pyrs in France and other countries.  >>

Boy you really want to get us in trouble with the world <VBG>.

First of all I feel the dogs in North America are overall the best I have seen
in the world which is primarily France and England.  The general overall
comments I would make is, yes the dogs in North America are smaller than
England or France.  The dogs of North America are much sounder in confirmation
than France and somewhat sounder than in England (this is probably
appropriately debatable, jump in here Ian or whomever).  I think the height
difference is in the legs (stupid statement), but I am constantly impressed by
the long hocks on the French dogs.  You also see dew claws at times that might
be functional i.e. much lower on the foot where you would find a sixth toe and
very heavily attached by bone.  I cannot imagine any muscle attachments and
would not know outside an autopsy of ligamentous attachments.

Type is much different in France than in England or North America.  I am not
really sure if it is a actual difference in parts of the skull or difference
on the amount of skin draped over the skull.  I suspect it is both.  I think
you would see difference in both skull and muzzle lengths.  One of the
identifying aspects to this type head is the triangle or pyramid at the
posterior portion of the skull.  The French have a name for it that escapes me
at this point, but seems fairly consistent with their head type and may be a
Boney portion of this head type.  While eyes are generally better there are
many round eyed dogs in France.  Pigment is much better as they are fanatical
about pigment.  Lets stop here and get some other feed back.

Joe