Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:French vs US & UK Pyrs

Magic Moment wrote:

> > Light boned does not mean Kuvas.  The Pyr should not be heavy boned no
> > more than the Kuvas should be light.  Infact the Kuvas is a HEAVIER dog
> > than the Pyr...so I would suspect it should have more bone.
>
> I think you'd really have to see the Pyrs to which we refer to
> understand, as far as a Kuvaz being heavier, according to a few well
> known breeders, they should be lighter of bone than a Pyr. It was
> described to me as to take the oval bone of a Pyr and shave it down to
> round.
>
> Lisa

The Kuvas is a much heavier dog (according to the standard).  While I
don't doubt they may have thinner round boned legs...they might still
posess more bone.  They would have to to hold up those giant heads they
are supposed to have...

Also the coat of a kuvas is not a grand as that of a pyr...which would
also make it seem skinnier...remember all that size on a pyr is more
often than not an illusion of coat.
The dogs I saw at the Kuvas specialty were very similar to the french
pyrs except they were not elegant...rather they seemed wider across the
shoulders...and their heads were far more corse....
I think the similarities of the breeds (pys & kuvas) can be compared to
the similarities of the Belgian shepherd and the German shepherd...while
they share coloring and similar size, even similar heads...they are two
very different breeds...and while the uneducated on looker might be
mistaken...the educated breeder or fancier would (should) not be fooled.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"