Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: French vs US &Uk Pyrs

Lene,

Thank you so much for the most interesting post.  I think you had some
excellent comments.  I do agree with you that there have been a wide range
of type differences for a long time. People in this country are always
referring to Mary Crane's books on Great Pyrenees and those books have
enormous variations in head type.

I really was astounded at the enormous size - not just height but breadth
and substance of the Pyrs in England when we visited there.  I missed the
trip to France and so I guess I am trying to get some word pictures of dogs
in other countries.  Your post is just the sort of thing I was interested in
hearing about.

I agree with you that most people really can agree on an outstanding Pyr.
I remember the pictures of some dogs from Belgium that were in the
International Review some years ago.  I believe they were bred by M. Remy
and the piictures were breathtaking.  Would that type of head be considered
good in Europe?? I was also interested to read your comment about depth of
muzzle.  This has been something that I have been trying to get away from
for years.  I really like a head with tight lips and no droop of lips so
that in profile the dog looks like it is smiling with the mouth closed.

Most of the pictures in the International Review look like the dogs have so
much coat.  Interesting that you do not think this is the case.  Could part
of this be grooming??  In the U.S. we wash our dogs and then blow them dry
before a dog show.  It does make the coat look different.

Hope we get lots more comments on this subject.
Charlotte