Re: [PyrNet-L] invisible fencing/ups trucks etc

>It would be a great tale if pyrs indeed made a mental connection
>between brown UPS trucks and bears, but it seems a little far-fetched.
>On the other hand, our calm, placid and slow-moving pyr, who
>disdainfully ignores most vehicles on his walks, barks wildly, growls,
>goes into high-speed chase mode, and becomes almost impossible to
>control when he encounters a UPS truck.  Do any other pyrs have this
>reaction?  Does anyone have a plausible non-bear explanation?
>
>Bob Birnbaum
>rb68@umail.umd.edu
>
>Well we don't have UPS (BEAR) trucks here but we have monsterous (Bunyip)
rubbish trucks. This particular one always turns up about 6'0clock am
Fridays complete with flashing lights and very loud rummbling, as it
negotiates our fairly steep rutted dirt road. Snorting to a stop every few
yards to devour one more giant bin of rubbish and recyclables.(sp) The dogs
hear it coming from miles away as it goes around the roads of the village. 2
weeks ago my husband let Mym (mim) out early as he had an early start. He
forgot the hole in the garden fence and of course she immediatley made an
exit stage left.

I was awakened by the truck but as well there was a frantic you dare come
here bark from Mym as she tried to head it off.  Success it went down the
road with the dog after it. I heard her bark all the way around the loop and
as he came once more up the hill to get the bins on the other side still
with frantic barking pyr in tow.  It thundered past the gate and all I could
see in the flashing light was the dog in full battle cry. She sent it up the
hill and came slowly back down. Took one look at me in the gatway and was
about to head off again down hill as is her want when loose. Suddenly she
thought better of it and trotted in through the open gate and straight to
the water tub for a long drink leaving me speechless. Boy this was a first.
Madam actualy coming in.

I made a big fuss of her in the hope that should she get out yet again she
might consider coming in when called. By the way no such luck since. The
result is that we now have to rip out our whole patched front fence and re
wire it including a hot wire attachement from the new paddock fence.
Regards Liz (Benson, Falcor, Mym the down under Pyrs)